Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Seems to be summer in Austin--spring didn't last very long

It was close to 100°F yesterday, and promises to be about the same today. I saw a big rattlesnake in the greenbelt the day before yesterday, and my neighbor's dog was bitten by a rattlesnake the day before that, in her yard, about 50 feet from my house. Summertime stuff. Despite the heat and the snakes, I have been spending a lot of time outdoors with my camera, so I will post a few more photos.

Checkered White (Pontia protodice) feeding on an Engelmann daisy flower



Asclepias asperula, antelope horn milkweed



Argemone albiflora White prickly poppy, with a bug buried in a forest of stamens. The petals are blowing in the wind.



Aztec Dancer, Argia nahuana, closely related to the blue-fronted dancer shown in a previous post



Hackberry Emperor (Asterocampa celtis)



Eastern fox squirrel, Sciurus niger, having a hard time making up its mind which tree to go up.



And a nice rose from my yard. When we bought this house in 1991 it had some well tended rosebushes. We completely ignored them, never watered them in dry weather, never pruned them, never tried to keep them from being overrun by competing vegetation, nothing. Every spring they flower nicely.


(click on any photo to enlarge)

No comments: