Sunday, June 04, 2006

Herons

I took some photos of a cattle egret near Town Lake in Austin, and I thought it was flapping its wings to keep its balance on the flimsy branch it had lit on. Only in looking at the pictures when I downloaded them did I realize that it was actively breaking off a small branch with its beak. Cattle egrets build nests out of sticks. I read somewhere that the female builds the nest with sticks the male brings her. If so, this is a male doing his stick-gathering chores.

Grasping the branch with its beak...



...success.



Yellow-crowned night heron with willows, at the shore of Town Lake.



Yellow-crowned night heron with poison ivy, a few hundred yards away, taken half an hour later. This may be the same bird as the one above.


click any photo to enlarge

No comments: