Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Recent close-ups

This is a giant swallowtail Papilio cresphontes, which landed in deep shade a few feet from me as I walked along Slaughter Creek.



This is a tiny brown butterfly, most likely a fatal metalmark (Calephelis nemesis) or possibly a Rawson's metalmark (Calephelis rawsoni). They can only be told apart in the field if you have a ventral view of the hindwing, and since it was disinclined to fold its wings and I was unable to get below a butterfly on the ground, I am guessing this is the more common of the two species, C. nemesis. I don't know why it's called a fatal metalmark. A brief search on the web shed no light on the matter.



Here is a blue dasher (Pachydiplax longipennis) which has almost worn out its wings. I like blue dashers not only because they are nice looking dragonflies but because it's easy to take pictures of them, and they also assume nice poses occasionally.



This damselfly is a tough one to identify. I think it is a female dusky dancer, Argia translata, but females of Argia species are very hard to ID with certainty.



click on any photo to enlarge

This blog is going on vacation for two weeks, maybe three. Hasta entonces.

No comments: