Monday, August 15, 2005

What a strange thing to say

George Bush, who is getting touchy about Cindy Sheehan, seemed to show some signs of exasperation that reporters were actually daring to question him on his decision to hide from her, as he rode a bicycle around his fake ranch.

He responded to these questions with some perfunctory bromides, concluding with this one, "I think it's important for me to be thoughtful and sensitive to those who have got something to say."

By implication, of course, his claim of being thoughtful and sensitive to those who have something to say, combined with his refusal to go out and meet Mrs. Sheehan, is that she does not have "something to say."

Then came the really weird remark:
"But," he added, "I think it's also important for me to go on with my life, to keep a balanced life."

Uh, what?

That makes no sense. And it bears such a close verbal relationship to something that _does_ make sense, but it also very offensive, that I think he was about to say it, but caught himself just in time, coming out instead with a hallmark Bush non-sequitur.

What I think he was about to say was "I think it's also important for her to get on with her life." I am sure he thought it, but some rudimentary political survival instinct interposed itself, and it suddenly sounds like he thinks he is being interviewed by a reporter for a health and fitness magazine, as a neural misfire steers him over to his "being president is hard work" patter.

"I think the people want the president to be in a position to make good, crisp decisions and to stay healthy," he said "And part of my being is to be outside exercising."

Part of his being is to be outside exercising.

A three mile bike ride down the road to Camp Casey would be just a drop in the bucket of his being, you'd think. A little jump-start toward presidential fitness.

There is something wrong with this man's wiring. And maybe people are starting to notice.

No comments: