Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Two faces of Texas

This is what I am greeted by today when I start my walk at Onion Creek greenbelt, outside Austin. Not much room to park my car today.


That's pretty bad. Fortunately it ends at the fence. When I go a few hundred feet I find the following:

A little path through cactus and hardscrabble vegetation in a dry area of the park. This was one of Kay's favorite places for us to walk.


A Turk's cap (Malvaviscus arboreus)--one of our nice fall flowers.


A tawny emperor (Asterocampa clyton) resting on frostweed (Verbesina virginica) flowers. The tawny emperors have been around since July, and most of them are getting a little worn looking.


A twisted mesquite tree and backlit poison ivy, along with saplings of hackberry and cedar elm.


The path back to the car. Mustang grapevines on the left.

No comments: