Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A President who will say anything

I had a recent post on the absurdity of our President telling people to sing the Star Spangled Banner only in English. My point was, basically, who does this guy think he is? Plus, it's a free country, or let us hope it still is.

But wouldn't you know it? According to ThinkProgress (quoting Cox News Service, 1/18/01) the National Anthem was actually sung in Spanish at Bush's own 2001 inaugural. The singer was Jon Secada.

Also, ThinkProgress cites Kevin Phillips for the following, from p. 142 of his book American Dynasty
When visiting cities like Chicago, Milwaukee, or Philadelphia, in pivotal states, he [Bush] would drop in at Hispanic festivals and parties, sometimes joining in singing “The Star-Spangled Banner” in Spanish, sometimes partying with a “Viva Bush” mariachi band flown in from Texas.

Every day, I think no new revelation of this man's dishonesty will surprise me. But I keep getting surprised.

No comments: