Thursday, July 06, 2006

Neon skimmers and a queen

Walking in Slaughter Creek park today, I was not taking many photos, though the weather was pleasant and the park is scenic, because there were no birds, animals, or bugs to take pictures of. At least at first. But I found one dragonfly at rest, and it was a female neon skimmer, Libellula croceipennis, which was very cooperative about photos. I think these are a little sharper than the previous photos I have put up of the same species, so I am posting three of them. Plus I ran across what I first thought was a monarch on a sunflower, but it turns out to be a queen butterfly, which I am posting also.

Neon skimmer against the sky


Same dragonfly viewed from behind


...and a close view


Here is a queen butterfly, Danaus gilippus, on a sunflower


Click any photo for a larger view

No comments: